The Washer Story - Harris Appliance

lynnc99
on 8/4/11 10:21 pm

Some of you may remember that my washer broke in late May/Early June.

This is an almost new Whirlpool Duet. It is just off warranty. We got it at Harris Appliance, Lancaster store. It was a floor model and we got a decent deal because it was a discontinued color. THe color didn't bother me because my laundry room is behind closed doors in this house, and it's not a *horrible* color - sort of a light seafoam green.

The washer cycle gave me a code of F35. Checked the manual and it gave troubleshooting solutions for some codes, but this one was going to require a service call. Got it scheduled, no problem.

The service guy came as planned, and said that there was a switch that needed replacement. It would have to be ordered. He called the next day and said that this part was on national backorder from Whirlpool, and that it could take up to 4 weeks.

Well, what are you going to do? I said okay.

Meanwhile, 6 weeks passed. No call, no contact. Mike stopped by the Harris Appliance store to check on our status. He walked in at about 7:58 p.m. one evening - and was met by the manager who said, "How are you tonight?" Mike said, "I'm okay but we do have a problem to take care of." The Manager said, "Well you have 2 minutes. I am locking up at 8." Mike: "What if it takes more than 2 minutes?" Manager: "You have 2 minutes."

Needless to say this was not a positive exchange from that point. Mike was told that the part was "not a priority" and that we would have to contact Whirlpool directly.

In the meantime, I hear Harris Appliance ads every morning on WHP radio. We have a passing acquaintance with the morning radio host there, so I facebooked him to ask who was "head honcho" at Harris Appliance. He gave me the name and said to call, and tell him that we were told he would take care of it.

And ironically, the current Harris ad campaign is "We Service What We Sell."

Mike came down with bronchitis and had a busy work schedule, so we didn't get to the call right away. Last weekend, we decided to touch base at the store one more time before calling. I won't go into the entire conversation but here are highlihgts:

From the manager we heard these words, literally:
"I told you I don't have your part"
"I don't care." (At this point I literally put myhands on my hips and said, "I cant BELIEVE you woud use those words to a customer!")
"If you want to call Mr. Harris you will not do it from inside my store."
"Make your call but get out of my store."
"Get out of my store or I will have you removed."
"I am calling the police."

There was a lot of yelling at us. He refused to look at me. I did get angry and leaned over the counter to tell him, "I will have your ass over this one, buddy." (And that is a quote.) But no real profanity or anything.

Well, we did leave the store (not willing to start my life of crime over a washer!) and called Jim Harris, the owner of the chain. He was dumbfounded. He said it may be time for this manager to lose his job over this (although we knew that he would put a totally different spin on the exchange).

Long story short, the part magically appeared on Monday and was installed yesterday.

No discount on the service call though - although Mike is planning to call Jim  back for a follow up and he may in fact cut us a deal. Honestly, I think he should have replaced the whole darn washer on Monday for all we had been through. This was the single worst experience I have had with a store in my entire life.

Not good business when (1) the Lancaster store is one of only 3 in his chain, and (2) you can buy a washer anywhere!

For those in central PA - I recommend Best Buy. Sears. Boscovs. hhgregg. Costco. Craigslist. Your neighborhood yard sale. but NOT HARRIS APPLIANCE.

The manager is a nut case. Plain and simple. They don't deserve your business or ours. 

(PS. The laundromat is EXPENSIVE by the way. I have spent close to $100 there this summer!) 

Liz R.
on 8/4/11 10:31 pm - Easton, PA
WOW! that is terrible! For the aggravation and the cost of the laundromat you could have bought a new washer!! I am glad that it is fixed now. I think the evil side in me would send a bill to the store for the laudromat fees!

Enjoy your writing conference!
dit657
on 8/4/11 10:58 pm - Boothwyn, PA
OMG that is insane! I'm with Liz - not only would I contact MR HARRIS about a discount on the part/service but I would also make up a bill for the laundromat expenses. And that man should definitely lose his job - if not Mr Harris is going to end up losing his business with managers like that!

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
bvohl
on 8/4/11 11:06 pm
Lynn,

I would write a complaint letter and send it to their headquarters along with a copy to the boss. I worked in customer service/retail for years and I NEVER spoke to a customer that way! Even if the customer got beligerant with me, we were trained to keep our cool. There were MANY nights where I got home late because of a last minute customer, especially during the holidays. We were all about sales, so whatever it took however long it took we did it with a  smile on our face. Although on the inside I was saying just get the hell out of here so I can go home!! LOL!

You might want to also contact the better business bureau and report them. Tell everyone you know not to use them! If I was the boss that manager would be FIRED!!!

Sorry you had all that aggravation...

Love, Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Laureen S.
on 8/4/11 11:38 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Lynn,

Word of mouth is business, especially in this economy. . .  so what I would do is write the Better BBB about this particular store and cc Mr. Harris.  I don't advocate getting people to lose their jobs, but this gentleman and I use that term loosely does not have any grip on reality in the year 2011 when most everyone will bend over backwards to keep themselves employed.  It's a shame, but more and more I see signs of a lack of customer service and the things people get away with these days, we'd have been fired for in the first 5 minutes of any job when we were younger (OMG, I sound like an old biddy (lol)). . .

I had a great mental picture of you leaning over and saying what you did, especially because as I've known you, I've never seen any sign of that person (lol).

Have a great day, hope to see you at Barix.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

IdaMae D.
on 8/5/11 7:10 am - Philadelphia, PA

Wow Lynn;
Sorry you want through all that.  I'm with the other gals, give Mr. Harris the bill for the laundramat as well as the bill for the service.  After the way his employee treated you guys he needs to do something to make that right. 

I'm glad that you are able to openly use the name of your "terrible experience".  I'm guessing our's will end up in court so I can't say much in writing that could fall into the wrong hands.

IdaMae

lauraanne715
on 8/5/11 10:09 pm - Pottstown, PA
Lynn--That is crazy!! I can't believe that manager would treat any customer that way!!! Definitely, follow up with Mr. Harris and the Better Business Bureau etc and make sure that the store manager is punished for his actions. That is not good business practice at all!
And definitely send an invoice to the company for the laundromat! You should be compensated in some way for your troubles!

Laura

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views